Monday, October 12, 2009

Outdoorsy...Me? Nah..!

This is what I found out in the recent trip I had! I went out for a one day trip with my colleagues. We visited Gaganachukki-Barachukki falls and Thalakkad! Though I was so hyped about the whole trip, towards the end of the day, I just said, Oh! God, when will I return home?!

I don't say the trip was bad. It was really good. Especially the boating that we did at Barachukki was simply awesome! The boat-rider took us as close to the falls as possible! We were enjoying the soft refreshing shower from the waterfall... below us was Cauvery, 70ft deep and four of us, entrusted our lives to the boat-rider!!

It was awesome, in its true sense! Get the glimpse of the falls here... We went to the tip of the waterfall and I captured this image on the way back! I enjoyed every moment of it!

Then we went to Thalakkad.. to explore Alamelamma's curse! I was fully prepared for the trip. I searched the whole of internet and learnt the story of Curse of Thalakkad. However exciting and masal(a)enious the story was, I could not really believe such thing. The skeptic inside me posed a question as to how this could happen and what is the science behind this? The question was kind of answered when I read this post on the internet. In this sense, you could see how well-prepared I was for the trip! Apparently, I missed out to learn that my fellow members were not as informed as I was!

Whatever I had learnt, I kept to myself and I expedited to uncover more tales and to see how much of what I read from various posts and the quoted article is true! While my colleagues were busy enjoying the nature's beauty and bathing forever(!), I was waiting, waiting and waiting to see the temples. My long wait came to an end when we visited the first temple.


While the local person has told us that we could cover 7 temples in the forest on foot, we were really running out of time! So we decided that we will see one temple and get back! So we went to this temple and came back. Many had said that the sand uncovers itself once a year for the pilgrims and pooja happens! Only later I discovered that people are in constant effort to dig the sand out of the temples. This is one such group who kept the temple premises free of sand!



I learnt that the temples have been built at a very low level and Cauvery while growing fatter, throws the sand onto the Thalakkad region. The wind plays its role to take the sand towards the living area and hence the whole of Thalakkad is filled with sand and sand and sand!

Ok! I had no intention to explain you people the (hi)story of Thalakkad.. But I hope you didn't mind reading it!

So, coming to the point, apart from the sadness of not visiting the other temples, I learnt that I am actually not an outdoorsy type! I am quite happy with my room, the bed assigned to me and my lappy!

Future trips, I have decided that I would take it provided I have the ONE person I want to roam with and not with a group! No Offense Meant! Just that it has become a revelation to me that I don't enjoy a crowd that much! I like to hang around with the one who is quite like me in many ways, for a shorter duration of time and living every moment of it together!

So I shall po st a happier post about my trip when I get a chance to go around the way I want to ;-)

No comments: